Friday, July 04, 2008

Home

Statement # 1: The Purpose Driven Life is a really insightful book. I believe I grew up a lot spiritually reading that book in the 40 days as was recommended.



Statement # 2: Home by Daughtry is a damn good song. The words keep morphing into different significances since I first heard it last year.
So what do The Purpose Driven Life and Home have in common?

#1
Here is a summary from Chapter 6 of the book: “What on Earth Am I Here For?” We are here on Earth only as ambassadors. This world is not our ultimate home. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.

We may experience hardship, sadness, and rejection in this world. Some of God’s promises seem unfulfilled, some prayers seem unanswered, and some circumstances seem unfair. But this is not the end of the story of our life. We are not home yet. At death, we won’t leave home – we’ll go home. Home that is of a heavenly kind, where we can expect God’s promised reward in eternity for those who are faithful to Him.

#2
Which brings us to Daughtry. When Home came out last year, I thought it was such a beautiful song. It was so inspiring that it stuck in my mind as I made my way up Mount Kinabalu, determined to reach the top at all cost. (It must have been the words: “The miles are getting longer it seems, the closer I get to you.”)

And I always sing it whenever I miss my family back in Penang. Then there is also that aspect of a loved one who has strayed too far and coming back home. (“I’ve not always been the best man or friend for you, but your love remains true and I don’t know why, You always seem to give me another try.”)

#1 + #2:
So when I read The Purpose Driven Life a couple of months ago, the lyrics of the song leapt into my mind, but in a slightly different sense. (Home! Our eternal home!)

I’m going to the place where love
And feeling good don’t ever cost a thing,
And the pain you feel’s a different kind of pain.

Chorus: I’m going home, Back to the place where I belong, And where your love has always been enough for me.


Gosh, this sure gives a different meaning to the song, doesn’t it? I'd always thought Daughtry rocks! Now he rocks in a whole different sense as well.

Anyhoo, I've learnt that if life is getting you down, just remember to focus on God. Your time on earth is not the complete story. You must wait until home/heaven for the rest of the chapters. And like another Daughtry single: It’s Not Over!

4 comments:

cha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cell said...

that's encouraging.

Su Ann said...

Garrrgh! Just found out Daughtry is coming to 1 Utama and the only way to get the tix is to buy a Sony Ericsson phone! Whhhhaatttt?!!! Boo hoo hoo...!

Carol said...

Well, you managed to get your Daughtry tix after all. Rock on!!