When I saw the letter asking for helpers at the National Children Prayer Conference, I immediately decided to go for it. I didn't think about it. I JUST DID IT. Then I paused and thought: what makes me think I am qualified to teach children about prayer? Being a new Christian, I won't be surprised that some of those kids in the NCPC knew more about Christ than yours truly. And there really were a few brilliant kids I met there whom I learnt a lot from. So I guess the role of being a helper was two-fold: to teach and be taught.
Whilst there, an amazingly intelligent boy of about eight started to talk to me about how he tried to tell his friends about Jesus. But they either ignored him or teased him about it. I was lost for words. What do I say to that? Thankfully, a man, who was also a helper, came to our rescue. He said, "Do not be discouraged. You have already planted a seed in their hearts. You may not see a change immediately. But continue to pray for your friends. God will do the rest."
Wow! I think for me, my teachers in Sunday School years ago, planted that seed in me. I grew up always knowing about Jesus, though my family was Buddhist/Taoist. I even ended my childish prayers, which I did every night, with the words, "In Jesus's precious name."
But once I was older, I became cynical and rebellious. Religion, I argued, has became reasons countries declare war on each other. I believed in God wholeheartedly, but I didn't think religion can solve anything. Who have not heard of priests who had been caught for paedophilia? Or pastors who turned out to be false prophets or involved in frauds? And what about those religious teachings that say women are inferior compared to men?
But I have learnt to separate the human factor in religion, and concentrate on GOD instead. We humans are fallible and imperfect. Only God's grace can save us. HE and only HE is perfect. And He loves us even though we are flawed.
The crux of the matter is that Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with God.
Coming back to the NCPC... It was a real eye-opening experience. I enjoyed playing with the children. It was like being a kid once again. I thought I may have to resort to strangling or even sitting on the more boisterous ones ;-P - but I found myself smiling indulgently at them instead (as they jumped around on their seats, spilling their food all over the place, breaking out in rashes, etc).
Anyway, I thought the name "prayer conference" sounds rather daunting. They ought to rename it "celebration" or something more apt, for it was after all a celebration of God's love for children - and the child within us.
4 comments:
sure sounds fun! =)
and true as well i believe on the part of humans being well... human. heh.
Yeah humans will be humans. And some humans can be quite like animals too. Hehe...
Yer welcome, Detective...
Playing with children are fun... even though sometimes it can be kinda tiring. I know, trust me! hehe...
Btw, gv you an award... BRILLANTE WEBLOG PREMIO 2008. Check it out at my daughter's blog.
Post a Comment